Having a bouncer for your baby can be an excellent way to keep your baby a part of your daily life, even when he doesn’t really do much. You can place the bouncer on the kitchen floor while you’re making meals, and on the table as you’re eating them (Just be sure not to leave baby unattended). When your baby’s curiosity and ability to interact begin to develop, you’re going to love the portability anew because that bouncer can go just about anywhere you do so your needy baby can always see you. When buying a bouncer though, there are a lot of little features you’re going to want to check out to get the right one for you. But don’t worry; we’ve done the legwork for you.
The more we researched jumpers, the more obvious it became that the Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo had to be our top pick. This bouncer is designed to not only keep your child thoroughly entertained, but also encourage their mental development.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Baby Bouncers
|Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
|Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Deluxe Bouncer
|Best Budget Buy
|Bright Starts Playful Pinwheels Bouncer
|Best 2-in-1 Bouncer and Rocker
|Baby Jogger City Sway Bouncer & Rocker
|Best Portable Baby Bouncer
|BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo
The reason we believe the Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo is the best bouncer on the market is that it ticks all the boxes parents could be looking for in a bouncer. For starters, it’s designed with your child’s safety and comfort in mind. Needless to say, these are two concerns all parents have when shopping around for baby products, so the fact that the Jumperoo is built to be durable, safe, and ergonomic will provide you with the peace of mind you’re after.
Another reason is that the Jumperoo provides your baby with no shortage of opportunities to laugh and learn. They’ll have an absolute ball exploring the variety of stimulating toys that surround them when they’re seated in it. Thanks to the 360 degree rotating design, they can ‘jump’ around to discover them all. They’ll find everything from hanging toys, to a rattle, to an electronic toy with motion, music and lights.
Playing with these toys will not only put a smile on their face, but help to stimulate their mental development. With over 13,000 reviews on Amazon and an overall rating of 4.7 stars, you can feel confident that your bub will be more than satisfied with this bouncer.
Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo Key Features:
- 360 degree rotation
- Variety of toys including lights and music
- Machine washable seat pad
Our Runner-Up Pick: Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Deluxe Bouncer
With its deep and comfortable seat, non-skid feet, and several options for play, the Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Deluxe Bouncer is another excellent choice for parents. It’s noticeably not as flashy as our very top pick, but you’ll see that it provides just as much value for your little one.
The Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Deluxe Bouncer features a removable mobile with oh-so-cute puppy and kitten hanging toys. In addition, it comes with a built-in control panel that lets you play more than 20 minutes of fun music and sounds. You can also use the control panel to vibrate the chair to soothe your child. With so many great features, we’re not surprised this bouncer has been a huge hit with parents. It has an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars from over 3,700 customers.
Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Deluxe Bouncer Key Features:
- Removable mobile
- Easy-to-use control panel
- Calming vibrations
Best Budget Pick: Bright Starts Playful Pinwheels Bouncer
The Bright Starts Playful Pinwheels Bouncer is our top recommendation out of all the budget baby bouncers on the market. This gorgeous bouncer certainly doesn’t look like it only costs $33—its fun and practical design looks deceivingly pricey. That said, you shouldn’t expect the bells and whistles found in more expensive models.
This baby bouncer excels in providing a simple but enjoyable environment for your bub to thrive in. Featuring a lightweight, comfortable, and fully portable frame, this bouncer provides your baby with soothing vibrations and a removable toy bar to play with. Parents will appreciate the easy-to-wipe clean design, and the fact that the seat pad is removable and machine-washable. The Bright Starts Playful Pinwheels Bouncer has nearly 2800 reviews on Amazon with an amazing average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Bright Starts Playful Pinwheels Bouncer Key Features:
- Removable toy bar
- Gentle vibrations
- Lightweight but sturdy frame
Best 2-in-1 Bouncer and Rocker: Baby Jogger City Sway Rocker & Bouncer
The Baby Jogger City Sway Bouncer & Rocker is a sleek-looking baby bouncer that will sufficiently entertain your little one so that you can finally give your arms a break. One of the many reasons it caught our eye is that is the fact that it’s actually two products in one: a rocker and a bouncer. In other words, its both versatile and space saving. Speaking of space saving, this rocker and bouncer folds flat, so it’s a breeze to pack away when you’re not using it.
There are a multitude of other features you can look forward to with the Baby Jogger City Sway Rocker & Bouncer. It comes with a removable toy bar with sweetly-designed zebra and elephant hanging toys, as well as a choice of two speed vibrations. The seat is made from a super plush OptiVent™ fabric that’s designed to keep your baby cool and comfortable. The only downside is that “only” around 100 customers have left a review of it (but it’s worth keeping in mind that they gave it an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars!)
Baby Jogger City Sway Rocker & Bouncer Key Features:
- Weighs only 9lb
- 2 speed vibrations
- Folds flat
Best Portable Baby Bouncer Pick: BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft
The BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft has an ergonomic design that is doctor approved to provide full support to your baby’s back, neck and head. You can keep this bouncer upright and allow the little kicks and wiggles to propel your baby into a fun play time or recline this seat in two other positions for him to rest or sleep. Each stage locks into place securely from the back. And when not in use, you can simply push the seat flat and store it (or transport it) with ease. And if you’ve ever struggled with where to put a baby down while you’re away from home, you understand this portability is invaluable.
You can use this bouncer from birth on to age two, as long as your little one’s weight checks. You’ll want to heed the recommended 7.8 pound weight minimum, 28 lb maximum. And when your child is able to walk and sit unassisted, you can reverse the fabric for a more traditional seat for your little guy. You can also take that fabric right off the frame and pop it in the washing machine; which will definitely come in handy.
We can’t help but be impressed by the numbers on this bouncer; It has over 2000 customer reviews and has a spectacular 4.8 star rating. We think that’s enough people’s endorsement to make us sure this bouncer will keep you and your little one pleased.
BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft Key Features:
- 5 color options
- Removable and machine washable seat
- 4 positions: play, rest, sleep, and transport
Who Should Buy a Baby Bouncer
If you have a baby, you need a bouncer; there’s just no two ways about it. You may think that between the swing and the crib and the bassinet, you’ll be set. But you’re not. You need a place to plop that baby that you can move with relative ease. Chores will still need done and if nothing else, mommy will still need to make herself a sandwich while you’re recovering from birth. You can’t move a swing, crib, or bassinet very easily and moving from one room to the other will be made easier (and therefore life will be easier) with a bouncer.
If you aren’t expecting or the parent to an infant, but you know someone who is, you can be the absolute rock star gift giver by buying this for your friend or family member. She may not have registered for one, but you giving her one (in addition to something off her registry – never neglect the registry entirely) will be anticipating her needs before she has them. She will use it thoroughly and likely always remember what brilliant person gave her that convenience.
Important Features to Consider
A baby bouncer should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a bouncer for your baby:
- Cleaning recommendations. No matter what age your child is, the fundamental rule of children is that they make messes. Even if they’re only nursing and won’t be eating in the bouncing seat at all. They could still have a blow out diaper or spit up and you’re going to want to have a way to clean it. If the seat is completely removable, straps and all, and machine washable, that’s best. But, really as long as the fabric is removable and machine washable, you should be okay. We suggest you be leery of any bouncy seat that is “wipe clean.”
- Portability. The entire point of the bouncy seat is that it isn’t a bulky contraption that you have to lug everywhere with you. That being said, there are still differing levels of portability and if you plan on using it as your go-to, everywhere-you-go-in-the-house place to put your baby, you’ll want to grab a comfortable and portable one. If you plan on traveling with your baby and want to bring the bouncer so that there’s someplace for you to put your baby on, then you may need to sacrifice a little to get a little. Try looking for a bouncer that’s more travel-friendly; a collapsible bouncer will work great for these instances.
- Mobiles/toy bars. If you use this early on, a mobile or bar across the lap or just above your baby’s head will be incredibly useful for entertaining. They will be able to look at shapes and objects before they can really interact with them and kicking their feet will help those objects hanging off the mobile swing, giving them movement to watch. As they get a bit older, they’ll be able to associate the movement of their feet with the movement of the objects, pushing their development. When they can reach out you’ll need to be careful their baby strength doesn’t rip things off the bar and destroy the bouncer or hurt the baby. We highly recommend a mirror and adding a chain of rings long enough to lower toys to a reachable level. This should help prevent destruction and keep you from playing fetch when they drop it.
- Power supply. Most bouncing seats will run on batteries; particularly C batteries. You can look into the battery life, but the chances are you’ll need to replace them every few weeks if you use the seat often. If you find one that operates on electric power, keep in mind you’ll need to lug that power cord around with you and plan accordingly. If you don’t plan on moving the bouncer often, though, the ease of the plug and play can be incredibly tempting. If the seat’s only movement are the bounces when the baby bounces, you won’t need to worry about this one at all.
- Motion. Bouncers will often do more than bounce. The most common movement they add in is vibration; but that’s not all they do. Does the bouncer rock or swing, too? If it’s a combination type then you’ll be able to try out different methods for soothing your baby. Some go in different directions and some use different movements and the more you have available to you, the more likely you will be to find something that will work for your baby. And if your little one likes variety, all the better to have several options.
- Padding. Sometimes you can look at a particular style or model of bouncer and think to yourself that it just can’t be comfortable to sit in for very long. Because of this, you may be inclined to choose a more padded bouncing seat. You’ll need to weigh safety with comfort when you’re considering this, though. Note that a bouncer is intended for use only during waking hours, so that you will be observing baby consistently to prevent any suffocation. That will likely be the biggest deterrent for any risks, but it’s still probably worth consideration when picking out a bouncer with extra padding.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a baby bouncer and how does it work?
A baby bouncer is sometimes also called a bouncing or bouncy seat. Sometimes they can be confused with a jumper but a bouncer is something you can put even a newborn in without concern. The typical age for a bouncer is birth to about 3 months or so. You can safely keep babies in the bouncer until they’re sitting up on their own. You may find that some bouncers are better for newborns than others; a deeper seat will keep your baby’s head more secure. A baby bouncer is perfect for when you bring that baby home and think, “Well, now what do I do with this baby?” You can put the baby down, believe it or not.
Beyond newborn, the bouncer will come in handy when you need to do something but want to keep a close eye on the little one. You’ll find popping this on the floor in the bathroom is a perfect solution to needing a shower with an especially needy baby.
Are baby bouncers safe for newborns?
A bouncer is one of a few things that are considered safe for your newborn. (In case you were wondering the others are car seats, swings, and rockers.) If you’re worried about your little one’s wobbly neck you can add in a newborn insert but you’ll want to take extra care for anything near baby’s face. Even without the insert, remember that you only want to use the bouncer (or swing, rocker, and car seat) during awake times and when you’re monitoring them. If you’re asleep, then baby can’t be in these things. Even if you’re just prone to accidental naps (as most new mothers tend to be), you should place baby someplace safer, like his crib if you’re not alert.
When can you put your baby in a bouncer?
For many parents, the bouncer is the first place they put the baby down once they bring her home from the hospital. So if you’re wondering how old the baby needs to be the answer is you can place your baby in a bouncer from day one. And the vibration that most seats employ will soothe a newborn. It’s one of the few things you can use, so don’t forget to grab one!
If you’re looking for suggestions of when, specifically, to put your baby in a bouncer, then all the time! Be sure to keep a constant eye on her if you put her anywhere off the ground. You can put her in the seat on the table when you’re eating dinner, or on your desk while you’re working; even in front of the shower while you’re cleaning yourself.
What’s the difference between a baby bouncer and a baby jumper?
A baby bouncer is a seat that is reclined and is meant for your baby that can’t sit up yet. Once your baby starts sitting up, it is no longer safe for him to use a bouncer seat. You will use the bouncer for your babies from birth to about four months or so. The older he gets the more closely you’ll need to watch because one day he may surprise you and sit up without any warning.
A jumper is more geared toward an older infant, right before walking. The jumper has toys that will require your baby’s interaction and will allow him to use his legs to jump up and down safely. He’ll need to be able to stand upright with some support to get full use of a jumper. It’s perfect for a child who wants to move and go, but doesn’t quite have it figured out yet. The typical age for the jumper to be a baby favorite is roughly 6-10 months.
Other Baby Bouncers We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other bouncers for babies. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best baby bouncers list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your baby. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing and we broke them into the following categories:
Baby Bouncer Seats
Connect this bounder to your phone via Bluetooth and control your baby’s movements without even having to get up.
- 4 fabric styles
- 5 motion patterns and speeds
- 25-lb weight limit
This bouncer has a toy bar and book attached that will keep you from having to fetch as he tosses them.
- Machine washable seat
- Battery powered vibrating seat
- Removable book and toys
This vibrating bouncer has a fun Hello Kitty theme and if your child has a theme working, this could work perfectly for her.
- Removable cover
- Vibration and music
- Lap bar with toys
This comfy and classic bouncer will keep your little one both contently sleeping or happily entertained.
- 3 toys on toy bar, including teething toy
- Vibration auto-shuts off after 15 minutes
- Music features 7 melodies
This bouncer seat comes in 7 different colors and patterns, allowing you to customize your seat to best match baby’s room or theme.
- Spinning toys on toy bar
- Vibration seat
- 20-lb max weight limit
As your baby kicks and wiggles, this seat will sooth her with the gentle bouncing each movement makes.
- Vibration seat
- Machine washable seat
- Removable toy bar
The toy bar pops right off so you’ll be able to distract your baby while he’s in it and still have easy access to him whenever you want, too.
- 2-speed auto-bounce
- 3-point harness
- Removable infant insert
This seat was designed to mimic that of a leaf on the wind; push your child once and watch her soar for over 2 minutes!
- Locks stationary for feeding
- 3-point harness
- 130-lb weight limit
This bouncer can, with a separate purchase of Stokke Steps Highchair, be added to the lift and convert your child’s comfy seat into one where she’ll be able to eat with you at the table.
- Includes newborn insert
- 5-point harness
- 20-lb weight limit
If you plan on taking baby out to the porch or deck with you, you’ll love the sun shade offered with this bouncer.
- Adjusts to napper
- 9 different melodies
- 3-point harness
Travel Baby Bouncers
This wood bouncer folds flat for storage and portability and gives your little one a comfortable seat in the meantime.
- 4 color choices
- 3-point harness
- 20-lb max weight
This portable bouncer features non-skid feet so you won’t have to worry about it sliding and when not in use, it folds up in a snap.
- Includes adjustable headrest and carrying case
- 3-point harness
- Machine-washable fabric
This bouncer can be pushed all the way down to a flat fold or lifted up to eye level in your seated position, making him a part of your table talk.
- Twist knob lets you adjust to any height
- Features melodies and soothing sounds
- Vibrates with a tuck away mobile
With a few pulls of latches and bars, this bouncer folds flat and slides into a carry case for you to store or take with you.
- Breathable mesh sides
- Includes carrying case
- 3-point harness
Baby Bouncing Swings
This bouncer pulls double duty as a high quality swing, as well.
- Swing features timer and music
- Seat has vibration box
- Folds for portability
Lifting the feet along the bottom will turn this bouncer seat into a rocker.
- 40-lb max weight
- Removable mobile
- Vibration box
Pull this seat off the swing for a true bouncer seat that lets you bring baby with you wherever you go.
- 5-point harness
- 2-speed vibration
- Recline option with infant insert
Just as the name suggest, this combination bouncer seat will be able to move and soothe your baby every way imaginable!
- 16 possible seat options
- Remove seat for a rocking bouncer
- 2 vibration settings
As a stationary seat, this bouncer is a great and portable way to take your baby from room to room and the glider/swing feature will keep him happy for even longer.
- Removable mobile
- 6 gliding speed
- Built-in timer
Pull this bouncer off the swing and you can take it with you and put it places you couldn’t put the bulky swing.
- Swing, bouncer and rocker
- Lighted mobile
- 4 vibration modes